Return to Dial-Up Support
To create a new dial-up connection in Microsoft Windows 95 or 98:
- Open the "Dial-up Networking" window. The procedure is slightly
different between Windows 95 and Windows 98.
- If you are using Windows 95, then click on the Start
button, usually found in the lower-left corner of your screen. It
looks like this: . When the Start Menu opens, point to
"Programs," then to "Accessories," and choose
- If you are using Windows 98 or Windows 98
Second Edition (98SE), then open the "My
Computer" icon, then open the "Dial-up Networking"
- In the "Dial-up Networking" window that opens, open
the "Make New Connection" icon as you would any icon. This
will open the "Make New Connection" wizard.
- The first screen of the wizard welcomes you to the wizard. There
are no options to select, so click on the Next button.
- In the box labelled "Type a name for the computer you are dialing:"
enter "SDC Internet." In the "Select a device:" box, your modem
should already be selected. Choose your modem if it is not. Click on
the Next button.
- Enter one of our access numbers (838-4125 or 838-1001)
in the Telephone number box. Click on the Next button.
- If you need to dial any special numbers to get a regular dial tone,
put those numbers before the access number. If you need your modem to
wait a moment before dialing, place a comma [,] where you need the
pause to be. For example, if you need to dial 9 and wait for a
dialtone to get an outside line, you should enter "9,838-4125"
as the access number.
- Click on the Finish button. This will close the wizard and
return you to the "Dial-up Networking" window. The window
will have a new icon called "SDC Internet."
- This new connection must be configured before it can be
- Select the "SDC Internet" icon without opening it, then open the
"File" menu, then choose "Properties."
- On the General tab, remove the checkmark from the "Use
area code and Dialing Properties" box, unless you know for sure
that you need it.
- On the Server Types tab, remove the checkmarks from
"NetBEUI" and "IPX/SPX Compatible" boxes, and place a
checkmark in the "TCP/IP" box.
- Click on the "TCP/IP Settings..." button. In the "TCP/IP
Settings" window that opens, place dots in the "Server assigned IP
address" and "Server assigned name server addresses" boxes.
Click on the OK button.
- Click on the OK button.
- Drag the "SDC Internet" icon out of the window and over an empty
part of your desktop, then release it. A window will appear stating
that the icon can't be moved or copied to the desktop, and it will ask
if you want to make a shortcut on the desktop instead. Click on the
Before your setup is complete, you will have to enter your username
and password. This will have to be done the first time you use your
new dial-up connection. Just follow the directions below, but remember
to fill in the information before clicking on the Connect
To connect to the Internet by dial-up, open the "SDC Internet" icon as
you would any icon, then click on the Connect button. After it
connects, you should have an icon resembling two miniature computers in
the notification area, next to the clock, similar to this animated
When you finish with your dial-up connection, open the "SDC Internet"
icon again to open the status window, then click on the
Return to Dial-Up Support